Olive Oil Biscotti
Typically, Italian biscotti are made with butter, but this recipe uses olive oil instead. The result is lighter, crisper biscotti.
- 1/2 cup of LUV Flavors extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces) almonds, toasted and chopped coarse
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of plain flour, sifted
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix together the olive oil, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. Add the eggs and milk, and mix well, then add the sifted flour, salt and baking soda, and let the dough rest for 2-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Roll each piece into a roll that is 2 inches wide and as long as your cookie sheet. Space the rolls 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then rotate the cookie sheet and bake for 15 more minutes until golden brown and the tops begin to crack.
- Remove from oven and allow the biscotti to cool. When cool enough to handle, slice each one crosswise into 1/2 inch slices.
- Working in batches, place slices back onto the cookie sheet and bake for an additional 6-10 minutes to toast.
- Cool for 1 hour before serving.